Come celebrate 2020, the Year of the Rat in the Chinese calendar, together with Mickey Mouse, the world’s most famous rodent. Disney California Adventure will mark the beginning of the lunar new year with its Disney 2020: Year of the Mouse event.
From January 17 to February 9, the theme park will offer multiple activities that commemorate the cuisine and traditions of China, Korea and Vietnam.
About Disney 2020: Mouse Year
The Year of the Mouse schedule includes:
- Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession: The star of Disney’s animated hit leads a street parade with her friend Mushu. Commemorate the lunar New Year with dance, colors, martial arts and percussion.
- Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration: A nighttime water show presented in the Paradise Bay area which tells the story of a small lantern trying to reunite with its family.
- Live performances: Authentic dancers and artists from China, Korea and Vietnam will be performing each day at the Paradise Gardens Park area.
- Asian Cuisine: Four markets full of restaurants such as Longevity Noodle Co., Lucky 8 Lantern, Prosperity Bao & Buns and Red Dragon Spice Traders. Each offers food and drink inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures.
- Lucky Wishing Wall: A wall surrounded by decorative lanterns where you can write your wishes and tie them to the wall in hopes for a prosperous future.
- Disney Character Encounters: Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Mulan, the Three Little Pigs and many other characters will be around the park dressed in festive Asian attire. They will greet visitors and pose with them for photographs.
More Lunar New Year Options
Also, Disney 2020: Year of the Mouse attendees can find exclusive merchandise commemorating the event in stores around the park. The little ones can also enjoy calligraphy courses and face painting opportunities.
Disney 2020: Year of the Mouse is just one of the multimedia conglomerate’s cultural initiatives to pay tribute to Asian cultures this year. Other activities include an upcoming live action version of Mulan, as well as the Disney X Gucci line. This fashion collaboration with the Italian brand includes an ad campaign developed by the filmmaker Harmony Korine. Add to that all the rest Disney Parks has in store for 2020.
Visit the official Disney Parks site for more information and to buy tickets.